03 April, 2015

C is for Castration

from Edward Gorey's Gashleycrumb Tinies

Yesterday we took out dear, bolschie, bursting with personality puppy, Pluto, to the vet for "the snip". That is, not to put too fine a point on it, to be castrated.  

Pluto (28 March 2015)

He's only 13 and a half weeks, but from all my research* I found early age desexing (EAD) has a reduced recovery time, is less traumatic and also offers some other significant positive longer term health outcomes.  

So it was with heavy hearts we dropped our littlest family member off at the RSPCA for his procedure.  It was horrible leaving him. I'm bad at being brave with animals. But at least we'd organised for Milo to go to a gym for the day so he wouldn't spend the day at home fretting. And I looked forward to filling the void with the sound of vacuum cleaner, a noise that has been somewhat absent since it became apparent that Pluto has serious issues with it (and the broom, and the dishwasher, and the dustpan and brush, and the cheese grater, and his reflection in the windows, and the hairdryer  – although I hasten to add we don't avoid using everything just because of the quirks of the pup).

Anyway, the surgery all went well.  And on discharge we were advised:
"He might be sleepy for the next few days, and off his food.  But that's ok.  Just keep him warm and let him rest."

So.  We gingerly wrapped him up and brought him home, expecting a quiet convalescence...

Shhhh.

But since he lost his nuts, Pluto's gone stark raving bonkers.  He's not supposed to run or jump.  But I don't think he got that memo because he's tearing about like a thing possessed.  He just won't settle.  When in a relatively quieter state he's rolling about making guinea pig noises and when he's being loud he's shouting Shouting SHOUTING!  

When I tried to put him to bed last night he went crackers and threw Truffles (his companion piggie) out of the pen and then demolished the whole set up with a vigour and relish I've not previously witnessed.  In the end, all I could do was cuddle him to try and restrain and stop the crazy.  We slept for about three hours.

I hope it's not because he's in some really bad pain.  I hope he finds today a little easier.  This morning was berserk again.  I fed him early and adminstered the pain relief that supposed to last for 24 hours. and he's resting now.  So I hope that continues for a little bit at least.  Poor little man.  Doesn't know just now if he's Arthur or Martha.

With the sleep deprivation and the tinge of worry I feel a bit that way too.


*RSPCA Research Report on Early Age Desexing

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to laugh at his misfortune, poor little bloke. Maybe he's just really pissed at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Pluto. I'm no vet or puppy shrink so I've just deleted the first 5 sentences I had to offer.
    I remember when my cat, Grey Man, had the snip. The anaesthetic took quite a while to wear off and his back legs kept giving way. Poor guy had no idea what was going on. I was so upset for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean, but I'm starting to feel more sorry for me. The relentless 3kg delinquent kujo schnoodle is starting to wear me down and I'm starting to go a little doolally nutty myself.

      Delete
  3. Poor puppy :-( I remember when Miracle Loki (http://www.facebook.com/MiracleLoki) had her 'girl parts' removed. She was so depressed and mad at us. It was like she knew exactly what we had done :-( Good luck! I hope he settles down!

    ReplyDelete